Sunday, September 13, 2009

Aug. 29th - Meet My Panda

So perhaps China will surprise me yet, but already the trip has been OH SO rewarding. Today we visited Ya'an Wildlife Zoo dedicated to Panda preservation & breeding. For those of you that know me well, you know I'm facinated by wildlife preservation.... so today is especially significant for me to see up close the very rare panda -- estimate is only 1600 living in the mountain ranges in the Chinese province of Sichuan. Everywhere in Chengdu, the Panda is a logo -- they have the Panda Store & taxi's depict the panda on their gas tanks -- it truly is a national treasure.

So guess what -- for 500 Yuan (about 75US), you can spend 5 minutes up close and personal with a baby Panda (see me depicted in picture above). This panda cub is about 6 months old (unfortunately too heavy to sit in my lap) but he was agreeable to pose for the camera for a few moments (or atleast while the apple the staff enticed him with lasted). He was a wee bit intimidating up close, but not a bad pic don't you think? We also saw infants (<>

Following the visit to the Panda reserve we also went to Shangli old town, where we toured the well preserved site and enjoyed incredible architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment